Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Easter bun time!

I was making Easter buns last night and looking at the recipe that I had posted here. Very sloppy! I can't believe that I didn't clean it up better. I did try to edit as I realised something was missing though. I thought I'd rewrite the recipe here and not leave anything out (hopefully). I used less fruits this time - partly because I don't like a lot fruits and mainly because I didn't have a lot of fruits. Less fruits meant that my buns rose a lot better this time! I wish I had take a final pic but I remembered after I wrapped them up to mail to family. I also used Ultragrain flour which is a mixture of all purpose and whole wheat flour. I should have added a bit more liquid to compensate for this but I didn't remember until after they had finished baking. They will probably be slightly drier than your average Easter bun but still delicious!


Edited to include an old pic:



Jamaican Easter Bun
Yield: 1 bun
Ingredients

1 cup dried fruit (mixed peel,raisins, currants)
3.5 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon mixed spice (you can mix cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice or use a pre-mixed spice such as pumpkin spice)
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons of melted margarine
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon of honey (optional)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup stout (Dragon Stout, Guinness)
1 egg beaten.
1 tablespoon browning (optional)

Directions

Approximately 24 hours before you wish to bake, soak your fruits in water or a mixture of water and wine or stout. (I used water and beer for this batch. In the past I have used only stout. Use what you have!). You need enough to cover the fruits.
Preheat oven to 325 F
Grease a 9 x 5 loaf tin.
Mix flour, baking powder, mixed spice and salt in a bowl. Add the drained fruit and mix until evenly distributed. (I suggest adding the fruit slowly so that you can determine whether it seems like too much or too little fruit for your preferences.)
Mixed melted margarine and brown sugar in another bowl. Add honey, milk and egg. Mix. Add stout and mix.
Slowly add the stout mixture to your flour mixture. Mix thoroughly. You can stir in up to a tablespoon of browning for a darker bun.
Pour batter into prepared loaf tin. You can decorate with slices of maraschino cherry, if you wish.
Bake for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

If you wish you can glaze the buns as soon as they are removed from the oven. I use a 1:1 mixture of sugar and water or milk. For example, mix one tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of water. Heat and mix until sugar is dissolved. I did this in the microwave last night and it worked out well. Brush the mixture over the hot buns. You can give them two coatings if you like.

Cool buns and then remove from pans. Eat with lots of cheese! I also highly recommend lightly toasting your bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment